Sunday, September 11, 2005

Are we all druggies?

Karl Marx said "Religion is the Opiate of the Masses." Today on the way home from St. Louis (where we watched the Cardinals beat the Mets on Saturday) I somehow got to thinking about that quote. I first heard it in my Intro to Sociology class at Moberly last year (wow, has it really been a year?).

So yeah, is religion really just a drug to calm the people? As I look at my life, I see how God has given me peace and gotten me through rough times, and I wonder, would I have made it through without God? Is God just something I invent to make myself feel better? Yes, I know these are hard questions to ask and to answer, but I like to ponder on them some. Keeps the mind sharp!

I don't believe God is just something I make up. Do I have scientific evidence, no, but it's what I believe. If I didn't believe, I would feel lost and alone. I am sure of this because I tried to not believe. No matter how hard I tried to push God out of my life, everything came back to God.

Is God just some idea we use to calm ourselves? This is a question many people of my generation and generations before and generations to come have and will ask. How will you answer it?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we humans have an inborn need to seek something greater than ourselves, and I think that God hard-wired that desire into us. When you tried to not to believe in God, and just couldn't do it, proves that the desire to seek Him and know Him is real. It's not something you just made up. The idea of religion in itself is a kind of crutch for people because they get into a routine that they like and it's calming for them. But God isn't defined by "religion." The idea of God's grace guiding us through the storms of life is comforting through those times, but it's only because we realize that we can't do it on our own. And for us Christians it's not just something that we tell ourselves to calm our fears, or some "religious" thing. I think that the peace we have comes directly from our Abba who loves us unconditionally. :)

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home